Disco Student Learning Center
Refer a Student
The social, personal, and academic demands of college can place enormous stress on students. To help students stay fully engaged in the educational process and meet Appalachian's high standards, the University has numerous means of identifying students who might be struggling.
If you a faculty or staff member and are concerned about a student, use the Quick Referral Guide to connect with the appropriate resource for your student.
Workshops & Tutoring Information Requests
Student Learning Center staff can speak on a variety of topics with respect to student success. Submit a request to have a member of our staff present to your class or other university organization.
The Student Learning Center offers three types of workshops that can be presented to your classroom or organization.
- Student Learning Center Services Overview -- Discover all of the wonderful services and supports offered by the SLC, including tutoring, consultations, academic success coaching, learning labs and more.
- Time Management: Plan, Prioritize, and Take Control of Procrastination -- Students will learn effective time management skills and methods for balancing both personal and academic goals.
- General Study Skills: Work Smarter, Not Harder -- Students will be introduced to proven learning strategies, including how to use the study cycle, develop a study plan, and implement methods for deep and lasting learning.
Let your students know how they can learn from and with their peers through peer tutoring. The benefits of peer tutoring include:
- enhancing student engagement, communication and study skills
- promoting critical thinking and problem-solving based learning
- increasing understanding of course content.
Request a classroom visit from an undergraduate peer tutor in your subject area. Tutors will introduce themselves and discuss the tutoring options available to your students.